VA Veterans Services National Volunteer of the Year
In November, it is time to submit nominations for VAVS National Advisory Committee (NAC) Volunteer of the Year. This Award Program permits the NAC to honor members who have given extraordinary service to our nation’s veterans.
The Executive Committee (EC) of the NAC coordinates this program and works closely with the NAC and a selection committee established for reviewing nominations.
Nominees for this award must participate in established VAVS assignments, serve as a Regularly Scheduled Volunteer and meet one of the following criteria:
- Volunteer with hospitalized Veterans
- Volunteer with Veterans at Outpatient Clinics
- Volunteer with Veterans in Community Living Centers
- Volunteer with homeless Veterans
- Volunteer with Veterans and Veterans groups in the community
- Host Veterans’ functions in the Lodge, Post, Chapter, i.e. Memorial Day, July 4 th and Veterans Day observances, etc. that qualify as a VAVS assignment.
- Host Veterans’ functions outside the Lodge, Post Chapter i.e., fishing trips, day at the races, sporting events, etc. that qualify as a VAVS assignment.
- Visit Veterans confined to their homes as a VAVS assignment
Those volunteers that are eligible for the award are NAC member organizations with an emphasis on VAVS Representatives, Deputy Representatives, members who visit the VA Medical Centers, Nursing Homes, etc., or work at Lodge, Post, Chapter veteran functions either within or outside the Lodge, Post, or Chapter. Nominees must participate in established VAVS assignments and serve as a RS volunteer. There will be two recipients (1 male and 1 female) per year.
All nominations must be submitted in narrative format with name and NAC organization in the upper left-hand corner. The narrative is not to exceed 500 words and must be submitted to me not later than December 31, 2011 . Any letters of recommendation may also be submitted with the narrative. The attachment nomination form needs to be submitted along with the 500 word narrative as a package. Nomination packages may be faxed to (202) 547-3196 or emailed to email@example.com .
The Selection Committee with the assistance of the EC will select the winners and awardees will be presented with a suitably inscribed plaque at the annual meeting of the NAC.
Your assistance in disseminating this information to your VA Voluntary Service Representative is greatly appreciated. Should you have any questions or need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at (202) 608-8346.
To enter a nominee, download the award nomination criteria. Read them thoroughly to better understand what is expected. Download, NAC volunteer nomin criteria-2011
Next, complete a nomination form. As always, taking time to review the rules and expectations gives your post and your candidate a better chance at receiving the recognition that they deserve. Download nomination form, NAC Volunteer of the Year Award Nomination Support Form